Paper Fashion

-Fashion magazines are the bibles of fashion. With the flip of every page comes inspiration for a new outfit. The amazing photography in each issue brings motivation through my camera lens. Without these magazines, there would be no fantasy for me.-

Like I say, "If you can't afford fashion, why not buy fashion magazines?" 

When I make my run to Barnes & Noble, I'm on a mission. Pick out the best fashion magazines that I can find. I pick up men and women's magazines, from Vogue Paris to VMAN. I gravitate toward out of country magazines. They are more expensive ranging from $10 to $30 (Vogue Japan was $30, I was lucky I had a coupon to lessen that.) THAT'S CRAZY RIGHT!? $30 for a magazine!? I know that sounds insane, but I look at them as coffee table books. I find that they spend more time on content than actual advertisements. Don't get me wrong, I also love ads because they help give me ideas for shoots. 

Below are the purchases I recently made in one trip to the bookstore. 

i-D

Schön!

VMAN

BON

Arena Homme+

Oyster

To me, fashion magazines are relieving. I look through the most beautiful photo editorials of clothing that I can't necessarily afford. I use that mentality and find something of that kind for cheaper. I love and hate the feeling of seeing a really nice silk shirt, but can't afford it or it's ridiculously priced. I see it, I take a snapshot in my mind, and then go to a thrift shop and find something similar. You take something that was cheap and make it look expensive.

In my opinion, my favorite issue that I bought was VMAN Winter 2011. I recently did a 10 page paper for English 101 on the decades of women's fashion from 1900-2011. This VMAN features mens fashion from 1880-2020. 2020? No one can exactly establish what fashion in the 2020's would be like, but it was a stunning touch. They mixed prints and models together with different layering of paper (there's no way you would get the same effect if you looked at this online.) That also goes to show that print is better than online in my opinion. Nothing feels better than having a hard copy in your hands. If you would like to see a tiny sample of the issue go here. If you would like to see a video of the editorial go here.

VMAN Generations

In i-D, the magazine featured a spread on Prada's new men's Spring/Summer 2012 collection. After being intrigued by a specific studded jacket, I decided to read the article that follows. It said that golf helped inspire the collection (Hm, I have a Giorgio Armani polo, that I thrifted for about $15, that reminds me of golf.) I also decided to check out a video of the actual show. I found that there were a ton of floral patterns. (This reminds me of my Versace for H&M shirt that my sister absolutely hates, but I find bold.) Floral dress shirts, floral pants, floral jackets. Maybe I'll try it for this Spring. I'll have to hit up Buffalo Exchange to find something similar. If you would like to see the menswear show go here. If you would like to see the womenswear show go here.

i-D PRADA Spread

Overall, fashion magazines are my ultimate drug. I need them so that I can dream in a different world, gathering information for which I can plan my outfits everyday. One day, I'll have a huge archive of magazines and books. I would love to see my work published in one. Like I repeat in my head and as my Dad says, "One day, your name and your work will be in one of these magazines." I look forward to the future. Happy New Year everyone!